Please inform yourself about the conditions and status of the respective winter hiking trail at Ötztal Tourismus.
T +43 5 72 00 300
Tips and hintsPOI - Pestkapelle
Since plague victims were not allowed to be buried on the other side of the river in the 17th century, in 1661 the small filial church of the Holy Trinity was built - locals call the church also Bichlkirche or Pestkapelle - in the middle of the forest on Kropfbühel.
More details about winter hiking in Ötztal:
Getting thereArriving by car leads holidaymakers over the Inntal to the valley entrance and further along the Ötztal. In addition to the motorway can also be used on rural roads. With the route planner, your journey can be quickly and easily determined. To the route planner: https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingThe following parking facilities are available:
Parking in Winklen in front of the bridge near the electric shop Optimal - free
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentSuitable equipment such as breathable and weather-adapted outdoor clothing, wind,
Rain, snow and sun protection, hat and gloves are required for all walks and tours.
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.