Keine besonderen Schwierigkeiten
Tips, hints and linksWaalweg Theme Trails
- In the past, the so-called "Waal" water trails were man-made irrigation ditches for providing the Alpine fields and pastures with enough water. Still today, some of them are used by the local farmers. For our ancestors these "Waalweg" trails were essential for cultivating their meadows and fields.
WATER IN THE ÖTZTAL VALLEY
Water, the element which has shaped the Ötztal valley.
The glaciers are melted by the sunshine, releasing fresh water which feeds into the meadows and the Ötztaler Ache river which winds its way along the 65 km long valley. The Ötztaler Ache catchment area extends over 893 km² with an elevation from 700 to 3,774 m. This glacial meltwater fills the reservoir used by the local population and provides a supply of drinking water.
Glaciers store ¾ of the world’s freshwater reserves and therefore represent the biggest natural waterstorage in the world.
In the year 1770, the advancing ice dammed many of the big lakes here which triggered catastrophic flooding across the entire Ötztal and Inntal regions when they burst their banks. Natural hazards and disaster made people want to know more about and better understand nature, which also facilitated glacier research. The many facets of water in the Ötztal is not just of interest for scientists. The Ötztal glaciers are recreational destinations for locals and guests alike as these ice worlds offer great hiking and skiing in surroundings of outstanding natural beauty. Crystal clear river waters swollen by icy glacier meltwater make for superb rafting, white water canoeing and other action-packed activities.
More details about hiking In Ötztal: https://www.oetztal.com/wandern
Getting thereSölden is located in the western part of Austria in the state TYROL, in a southern side valley of the Inn valley - the ÖTZTAL. For your arrival by car, you can plan the best route from your home town with the route planner online at https://www.google.at/maps
ParkingThe following parking facilities are available in Sölden:
- Parking lot
- parking lot Stiegele
- stair parking
- Giggijochbahn + underground garage
- Gaislachkoglbahn + underground garage
All parking is free during the day.
Parking for several days (eg hike tour):
- Postplatz, Parkticket available at the information Sölden Parkgarage Gaislachkoglbahn
- Parkticket either online or directly at the cash desk of the Gaislachkoglbahn